Monday, June 27, 2011

Survival Tactics For June 27, 2011

Good morning!  Yes, I know it's technically afternoon, but my wonderful husband let me sleep in... with some convincing... and a knee in the back.  Ok, not really, he went willingly. :)

It's a new day!  And that's exactly how I'm going to look at it.  Today I WILL let me children help, while making an even bigger mess.  I WILL let them use the crayons, and pray extra hard it stays on the paper.  I WILL let them stay up a little bit past their bedtime, because an early bedtime seems to be the highlight of my day lately.  It's my responsibility to help mold these little creatures into becoming happy, healthy, successful adults one day, but it's also my responsibility to let them be kids for as long as I can.

So, how can I spend as much quality time with them, while still getting things done and making sure they have fun doing it?  TURN OFF THE TV!  I know it's so easy to rely on the tv for 20 minutes to get something done.  Instead of the tv, try some music.  Download some songs from your kids' favorite shows (Mickey Mouse Clubhouse, Wonder Pets, etc.), and some other kids' songs (Row, Row, Row Your Boat, Hokey Pokey, I'm A Little Tea Pot, etc) and let them play in the background.  Try Pandora Radio for free kids' music--LOVE this site!  Kids are prone to break out into random dance numbers, so it'll get them active as well!  Time to clean up?  Try The Pick-Up Game!  Think "Musical Chairs".  While the music is playing, instruct them to clean up as many toys as they can before you turn off the music.  Once the music is stopped, everyone freezes until the music is started again.  It may take a few tries to convince them they really do want to play, but it'll be worth it.  And they'll love the personal time they get with you.

Now, who has some tips on kids folding laundry??  :)

No comments: